Policy on Incomplete Coursework

Incompletes are granted or denied at the discretion of course Instructors. Incompletes can be granted in cases of incapacitating illness, serious family emergency, or in circumstances of comparable gravity. Permission can also be granted in order to allow a student to consult research materials not obtainable in the course of the semester. 

Any student who believes that his/her situation warrants the granting of "IN" must submit the Application for Incomplete by the last day of the final exam period.

• A student applying for an "IN" should first obtain the approval signature of the instructor before submitting the form.
• If you are requesting an "IN" in more than one course, you must speak with one of the Deans in the Student Affairs Office.

If an instructor grants an incomplete for a course, the instructor and student must agree on a date in which the coursework will be completed. This date must be within three months of the end of the semester. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure a grade is submitted by the agreed upon date. The instructor is not required to submit a grade for the course after the agreed upon date. The mark of incomplete (IN) is not a final grade. Therefore, if a final grade is not submitted by this date, the mark of IN will revert to UW (Unofficial Withdrawal), and the credits in the course will be forfeited. Note that students cannot be certified for graduation with a notation of incomplete (IN) on their transcript. All grades must be final in order for a student to graduate.

SIPA policy states that if the outstanding coursework is not completed within three months, the grade will automatically revert to Unofficial Withdrawal (UW), defined as "student did not complete attendance and/or assignments, but failed to withdraw." The mark of UW is a final, permanent grade that cannot be changed. Students with two or more marks of incomplete (IN) will have a registration hold placed on their account.