Undergraduates within the School of General Studies are expected to make reasonable progress in fulfilling degree requirements, which includes:
- Completing the writing requirement within the first year at GS
- Initiating foreign language study no later than the second year at GS, and making steady progress toward this requirement in each subsequent semester
- Satisfactorily completing at least one core requirement each semester
- Declaring a major before completing 90 points toward the degree
- Making satisfactory progress each semester toward the major, once declared
- Maintaining a semester and cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0
GS academic advisors help students plan their schedules so that these requirements are met within the expected time frame.
The academic standards for students in the Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program include:
- Maintenance of a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.75
- Steady progress in the satisfaction of preprofessional prerequisite course requirements with grades of C or better
- Initiation of health care work at least 10 months prior to applying to health professional programs
It is also recommended that students double-up on organic chemistry and biology courses (or approved upper-level equivalents).